The arise of Animal & Canine Kinesiology
The background of human medical taping (Kinesiology taping) was established in Japan and Korea in the 1970s. Currently many medical professionals are using this method in their daily work in clinic or practice all over the world with great results. Why not to use this medical taping at horses, dogs and other animals? All human medical and pharma companies have their own animal health division or work closely with an animal health partner and use their products, slightly adjusted, in different industries. Can we use kinesiology tape on canine and achieve similar effects? The answer is YES.
Tips for canine taping
- The dog’s coat must be clean and free from oils, lotions and moisture prior to application ie avoid using shampoos that have an oily composition prior to taping.
- Coat does not have to be clipped as long as the tape sticks well to the coat. Winter coats are difficult to tape. For more adhesive function of the tape, use an extra tape spray.
- The dog needs to be at resting body temperature prior to application.
- Measure length of VetkinTape required, cut length and then round corners to prevent the sharp edges from catching on protective suits, leashes etc.
- End-off VetkinTape round on the coat where possible as the tape sticks better to the fur than it does to itself.
- Activate the adhesive by rubbing the tape with your hand in the direction of the hairs, as the glue is heat activated. This is particularly important in canine application.
- VetkinTape can remain on for 5-6 days. If the area VetkinTape® has been applied to starts to itch, then remove it immediately.
How to remove Kinesiology tape?
- Be gentle, roll the dog tape off in the direction of the hairs.
- NEVER rip the kinesiology tape off.
- If required the adhesive can removed from the fur with methylated spirits
General taping tips
- Removing the tape from the paper is easiest if you keep the cut piece of tape with the cotton side towards you and go with the tip of your finger across the upper edge. It is also possible to tear the paper first (for some techniques this is advisable).
- The base and the anchor of the tape are always applied without stretch.
- Bases and anchors are always cut round, through which the tape stays on longer and better.
- See to it that there are no folds in the tape or in the skin under the tape, because this may cause blisters.
- The tape sticks better if the fabric becomes warmer, therefore be careful when applying heat to areas of skin/coat with tape.
- The tape must be removed carefully. Preferably soak it in water, stretch the skin/coat and roll the tape from the top downwards.
- When the tape is removed carelessly the skin/coat may become irritated.
- The tape can only be used lengthwise, e.g. for puppies smaller strips should be cut.
Temporary introduction offer
This introductory offer consists of:
- Two VetkinTape 3 cm rolls,
- A set of VetkinTape scissors
- Veterinary taping book (basics, techniques, application and tips specially for taping animals)
Interested in our Introduction offer?
Contact us by mail! Please provide us your Name, Address, Zip Code, City, Country and Telephone number and we will get back to you as soon as possible.